However similar in theory, though, the distractions of the past certainly took on a different form than those I'm talking about now. In this culture packed with instant access to information and so many forms of preoccupation, they seem to be more prevalent than ever -- and I seem to be their most willing victim.
Two days ago I was attempting to start a blog post. All I ended up accomplishing was nothing. I wrote and re-wrote the opening sentence about 23 times, struggling to find the right words to comprehensively express my jumbled up ideas. Around attempt 9, my frustrated brain tired of failure and drifted to thoughts of a less painful occupation. I clicked the "new tab" button and headed over to Facebook for a refreshing float down the easy river of mindless information -- otherwise known as my news feed.
Except... it really wasn't so refreshing and didn't accomplish anything. It just distracted me from the creative task at hand and starved my brain of the inspiration it was craving, satiating it instead with a healthy dose of cotton candy. Pretty sweet and definitely fluffy, Facebook's current events floated into my brain and settled down to begin their conversion to useless, mind-numbing fat.
Social media is really great for keeping up with friends. I love being able to connect with my friends and relations all over the world, and it's also an easy way to update them (whether they're interested or not) on my own life developments. Facebook is a perfect venue for seeing photos of my friend's cousin and her new boyfriend. Another great by-product is the prompt notification of everyone's successful advancement through Candy Crush levels.
My iPhone is really fantastic for looking up little-known facts whenever and (almost) wherever I am. It is also a great tool that can be whipped out in a time of need, whether that be an awkward lull in conversation, any kind of waiting room, or a long walk across three parking lots at the end of a school day. It keeps my mind easily occupied and entertained.
I'm not trying to bash these entertainment outlets for what they are. I've just been waking up to the way they're so often used -- as major distractions. How much time I absolutely and completely waste by scrolling and re-scrolling through Facebook's stream of information on a boring, Winter afternoon. When I'm lying in bed at night, taking one last look through Instagram ... then Pinterest ... then YouTube ... then email ... then ... Instagram? 5 minutes somehow slips into 30, and suddenly I realize I actually did have some time to read a book, or do something productive (like 30 extra minutes of sleep, imagine that.)
And so, my friends. Here begins my commitment to wean myself from these distractions and start using my time on this earth more meaningfully, more constructively. In so doing, I'm beginning the first stage of a new plan... one that has yet to be fully developed. I'll write more later.
Less distractedly yours,
C
No comments:
Post a Comment